Wednesday, April 23, 2008

An Adventure?

Okay - so I am officially a roadie.

Yesterday I began an 18-day tour with a band called Aslan's Child.
I have been trained as a classical musician and I teach Music Theory, Composition, Cello and other classes at Providence College, where I am a member of the Faculty. I have never been in a band like this, although I have been on many tours, but mostly with classical ensembles!

There are six members of the band - who are all students, or newly graduated students.

It has been a tradition for Providence to send out four tours every year to different parts of North American (and they sometimes go overseas!).

I am a new faculty member (I started in August 2007) and last November I had this brilliant idea that I should get an idea about the touring, as it is somewhat associated with the Music department. I want to know how I can better support this ensemble and Providence as a whole. When the students audition for the ensemble, the understanding is that they will go on tour, they cannot opt out.

Well, in the last few weeks, as the term was careening to a close and I was loosing my head trying to keep up with grading, final exams, graduation preparations and other things, I was wondering if my brilliant idea was actually even a good idea. I was tired and ready to start my summer projects, but here I am and I am glad the be here on tour.

It is the second day of tour and myself and the band are in Murillo, Ontario (just west of Thunder Bay).

I am hoping I can keep you up-to-date on our whereabouts and the adventures that we are having.

No comments: